Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A poem for my husband

"Oh Holy Night"
Written by Meredith Teuber

Martina Mc Bride’s Christmas album playing softly in the background
Candle light dancing against the beige wall of Jim’s apartment
Taking turns spooning homemade pasta sauce onto layers of lasagna noodles and ricotta cheese
A hip check, A slight ruffle of a tuft of thick hair along Jim’s neck
A warm hand playing softly on my shoulder
The last of the sauce lingers then dollops its way off the spoon into the pan
Together we feed the oven with our Anniversary Lasagna

We cuddle on the couch anticipating our anniversary date dinner
Enjoying each other’s company talking of the future

Dinner is almost ready
Jim hustles around the kitchen. Lasagna is bubbling.  
A plate of garlic bread fresh from the oven sits on the counter
A hint of garlic in the air
The sound of wine pouring into wine glasses
Candle light dancing against the beige wall of Jim’s apartment

Our eyes meet. The table is set.  Anticipation for our Anniversary dinner is bubbling inside me
Jim turns his head towards mine as we lay out the dinner plates on our table for two
“I’ll be back, I need to change my socks.” He darts into his bedroom.
A soft giggle rises in me.  Jim is so particular.  How cute that he wants clean socks for our nice dinner.
I run downstairs to the front hall closet where I hid my card for him.  
I take the steps to the living room quicker on the way back.
Dropping the card on the table near Jim’s plate.
He is back. I sit down.  Jim moves toward his seat but fumbles to his knees instead.
He opens his hand towards mine, “Will you marry me” his voice unsure of the answer
I am aware of a tiny movement wheeling one hand to the next.  A tiny black box opening
I don’t look at it. My breath caught in my stomach.  I am staring into Jim’s eyes.  I drop to my knees
Silent the word “Yes” screaming in my ears but fighting to get out.  I wriggle my arms around his sturdy shoulders
“yes” I whisper meekly into his ear  “yes” a bit more confidently
“Yes” my voice shaking excitement through my limbs
I embrace Jim a bit firmer
We rock from our knees mirroring each other
our bodies rising from the floor, standing, mingling, twirling, dancing as one

Martina Mc Bride’s “Oh Holy Night” lingers in the air

No comments:

Post a Comment